There is Liam Neeson badassery, there are Chuck Norris facts, there is even the epicness of Gon transformation from Hunter x Hunter, and then there is Whitebeard death from One Piece.
In the many, many animes shows I watched over the years Whitebeard death from One Piece is definitely a huge “holy shit” moment that got cemented into my mind. And I’m not referring because he simply died, no…is because he died standing, STANDING!!!! This scene completely defined my way of measuring characters epicness and badassery. I was expecting Whitebeard to simply fall to the ground and smash the floor in an epic way (like you normally see in other animes), but he died standing…that brilliant!!!! Here are 4 reasons that I believe made Whitebeard dead incredibly epic.
1. The guy was like 70 years old, measured around 17 feet (maybe more) and had the muscles of a full time bodybuilder. Also the way he simply stood and walk were epic on their own.
2. His Gura Gura no Mi fruit could be one of the most powerful devil fruits in One Piece.
Is expected he will be quite difficult to defeat, but what I believe makes it truly epic is the way his attack were drawn.
In this attack (called “Shima Yurashi”) Whitebeard grabs the air around him, like if it were something that can be easily grabbed, and then pulls it toward him causing a massive earthquake that tilted Marineford and the sea around it in episode 473. The attack is insanely destructive, but what impressed me the most is the way he looks while making the attack. The way his body is positioned when he grabs the air helps showcase his upper body muscles and it feels like he pulling the heavens towards him with so much force that you know something insanely powerful will come out of it.
This attack (called Gekishin) certainly looks insane because it just like broken glass. When a glass looks like that you know it was because something hit it very hard and our man Whitebeard simply punched the air breaking it into pieces. Is a miracle that Akainu didn’t lost consciousness for weeks (he wouldn’t have died though because he had “Plot Armor” equipped).
3. He died standing after 267 sword wounds, 152 gun wounds and shot by cannon 46 times and with no scars on his back because he never got one while running away. Did I mentioned, he died STANDING!!!
4. Pirates want gold, power and adventures. Whitebeard just wanted a family.
Certainly that is a noble cause for life. Whenever I saw Whitebeard crew I thought that Whitebeard must have saved so many of them from miserable lives, from dead or from becoming slaves of the stupid Celestial Dragons assholes. A family…now that truly cemented Whitebeard badassery!
- One Piece Wiki – Edward Newgate